The Purpose of the Creative Residence Programme
This residency programme supports creative professionals practicing in any creative media to work on a project for up to three months at The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora in Ōtautahi Christchurch, Aotearoa New Zealand. It is open to people from New Zealand and around the world for a residency period of between 1 and 3 months.
Engagement with the local community is an integral part of this residency programme and it is anticipated that the residency will culminate in an exhibition, performance, reading, workshops or some other such event that involves the community. It is also hoped that residents will be interested in collaborating with local practitioners.
Who can apply
Creative professionals from a broad range of practices such as visual arts and crafts, music, theatre, dance, film, writing, design, photography, and digital and sound art, fashion and gaming.
When to apply
Applications for this first round will close on March 31 2020. Residencies are offered via invitation as well as via proposal.
What The Arts Centre will provide
The Arts Centre will provide:
- publicity informing the local community of the residency
- a fully furnished room with work desk and private bathroom in The Arts Centre’s Creative Residence. Living spaces are shared with other residents.
- access to Wi-Fi
- a per diem of $85 NZD per day, paid weekly
- Up to $1500 NZD towards travel costs to and from Christchurch, New Zealand.
- links, contacts and advice in relation to the local arts and creative industries community
- advice and support with orientation and realising projects onsite
Studio space may be provided depending on availability and requirements.
What is expected of the creative resident
Residents are expected to:
- arrange their own transport to and from Christchurch
- arrange their own work permits/visa if applicable, with the support of The Arts Centre
- be in residence in The Arts Centre Creative Residence during their stay
- be available for media interviews and photographs
- work with The Arts Centre to devise and deliver an event(s) for the public including exhibitions, performances, open studio, workshops, forums, classes etc
- acknowledge the support of The Arts Centre in any publicity material pertaining to the creative work or events that they may create while in residence at The Arts Centre
- provide The Arts Centre, within 4 weeks of completing their residency, with a report of their time at The Arts Centre
How to apply
Interested creative professionals are requested to submit:
- 100 – 120 words describing their aims for the residency and why they want to come to Christchurch
- their CV (up to 3 pages)
- up to 5 images or media files documenting past creative work
- up to 5 available links to recordings, reviews, articles and/or material published online
- Preferred residency dates (please note residencies are not offered from January to March in 2020 or 2021)
What happens after applying
The Applicant will receive acknowledgement of receipt of their application within one week. Applicants will be notified if they have been shortlisted for consideration or not within one month of receiving their application.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to further outline:
- more detail of the project they propose for their time in residency and how it will activate The Arts Centre site and/or involve the local community
- The estimated costs of their creative project for the time in residency (There are limited funds for project costs available and for select projects funding may be applied for in the form of grants)
- their eligibility for work permits/ visas for New Zealand if applicable
- contact details of two relevant professional referees
The Arts Centre will advise as to the success of the application within one month of receiving this additional information.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
For more information about the Creative Residence living space visit: https://www.artscentre.org.nz/visit/stay/creative-residences/